Overview of the general education system and University in England

The UK has always been known as one of the ideal study destinations for international students by its advanced education system.

In this article, we will give readers an overview of the education system and university in the UK – one of the leading education in the world!

School education in the UK: School education

As in other parts of the world, preschool education for preschoolers is an optional form of education. Young children can begin participating in this program at ages 3 or 4.

Universal education in the UK for students from 5 to 16 years, lasting about 12 years. Primary education from 5 to 11 years old is divided into two levels as “infant” for 2 years and “junior” for 4 years. At the age of 7, students begin to teach core subjects but are also encouraged to participate in extracurricular subjects such as Art, Computer Science or Music.

There are many schools that provide secondary education for students between the ages of 11 and 16. Some of these schools are comprehensive schools – with different programs and different times. , Technology College, a specialized secondary school of practical applications (modern secondary school), or Grammar school.

After they have received a GCSE high school diploma and have achieved five subjects from A * to C, they can apply for a 2-year post-secondary program to receive A level (General Certificate of Education Advanced Level) ). The result of both years of A certificate is the “passport” to enter university.

Post-secondary education in the UK: Further and Higher education

There are a wide range of courses, spanning a wide range of fields and periods of study in the UK – an average of one to four years. You are completely free to choose an appropriate learning strategy: you can study at the University from the beginning, start with HND or university degree in two years and then transfer to get a university degree. learn. Or you can study an honors degree in one major to focus “effort” on that major, or study two majors in a dual university degree.

Here are some higher education programs in the UK:

Inter College

Taking pre-university / pathway courses helps you bridge the gap (if any) between the degree (s) you currently have and those offered by your chosen college or university in the UK. bridge. This gap usually exists because students in many countries complete 12 years of study before they start college, but in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, students must complete 13 years.

The International University Foundation Year (IFY) program organized by UK colleges leads to internationally recognized university preparatory programs such as A-level or BTEC national programs. These 1-year courses simulate the formal academic program in the UK but include supplementary instruction in English skills. To register, you must be at least 17 years old, have a minimum English proficiency (usually 5.0 IELTS) and have completed the standard high school program. Many higher education colleges offer transfer agreements to undergraduate degree courses at local universities, so consider if this is the school you have chosen. . Many universities in the UK also organize their own international university preparatory program and directly connect a university course.


The HND (Higher National Diploma) is a 2-year formal certificate. The National Higher Career Certificate HNC (Higher National Certificate) is a similar certification, but often takes overtime. These two forms are considered vocational training certificates with the aim of gaining experience instead of studying theory and improving academic knowledge like university programs. HNC and HND can also help you enter your second or third year at university. This certificate and qualification can be obtained at a university education college, or at a university in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

HNC in Scotland is a 1-year full-time course. HNC is equivalent to the first year of a bachelor’s degree, HND is equivalent to the second year. In many cases, there are many opportunities for HNC students to transfer to the second year of their undergraduate program and students with HND to transfer to 3rd year.

College degree (DipHE)

This is a certificate granted after 2 years of study at a higher education institution in the UK. However, this degree can help students enter a bachelor’s degree program at a UK university. College certificates usually guarantee students into the 2nd or 3rd year of a bachelor program. In this way, students can complete the program and then transfer to the first years of the honors program and convert college certificates into a bachelor’s degree.

General University (FdA, FdSc)

General University is a two-year post-secondary course, equivalent to the first phase of the University program. You can choose subjects such as art and design, journalism and media, engineering and hotel management. With this degree, you can go to work right after completing the course or further study to get a University degree.

University preparatory program

University preparatory programs are often work-related, helping to develop careers in a range of career-related fields. Although you are already an accredited UK graduate program, it can also help you transfer to your 2nd or 3rd year in a bachelor’s degree. Foundation programs generally take 2 years of regular study.

University program

In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, a bachelor’s or bachelor’s degree program usually lasts three years and then leads to an honors degree program such as a Bachelor of Communication or Bachelor of Business (Honors Bachelor’s Degree). In Scotland, it takes students 3 years to complete the normal program (Bachelor’s Degree) and 4 years to earn an honorary degree (Honors Bachelor’s Degree). Undergraduate programs in Scotland are sometimes awarded a master’s degree (Master of Social Studies, Master of Science or Master of English, etc.), depending on the traditions of each school.

For many undergraduate programs, the results of the first year’s exam are not included in the final program classification. The results of the 2 and 3 years, combined with the extra points for the graduation thesis (you may have to write a long thesis in the 3rd year), will constitute your final score upon graduation. Typically, you will have to choose a range of modules, some of which are compulsory and some are elective, which will constitute your daily program of study.

Most institutions that offer bachelor’s degree courses give you the opportunity to study two or more majors in a combined or associate honors program. The combined degree program will cover different majors that are not necessarily the same proportion (for example, the Bachelor of Business Program combined with French). Interlocking courses are similar to other degree programs, but have an additional 1 year of practical work experience related to the course. This usually means the course is 4 years instead of 3 years as usual.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply